This is a perfect weeknight dinner! Budget-friendly and ready in 30 minutes or less! Easy to substitute in this recipe...I recently made it with zucchini instead of peas, and kale took the place of spinach. You could use chicken breasts as well...just shorten the cooking time. A fabulous curry!
Diet restrictions: Gluten free
- 1 cup quinoa, (white, red or tri-color)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, (or olive oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, excess fat trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces (or chicken breasts)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 0.75 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 0.75 cup coconut milk
- 3 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions, adding 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and saute until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chicken, curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until chicken begins to brown, 2 minutes, then add ginger and garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add peas, tomatoes, broth, coconut milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Reduce heat to low and maintain a simmer, partially covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes (about 8-10 minutes if using chicken breasts).
- Fluff with a fork when quinoa is finished, cover and set aside.
- Stir spinach into curry and heat just until leaves start to wilt, about 1 minute.
- When ready to serve, divide quinoa among plates and top with curry.
Make dinner easy this week with FIVE complete menus, a bonus recipe and a matching grocery list!
*All form fields are required.