I love anything with eggplant, but the usual eggplant Parmesan recipes are so labor-intensive, not to mention, so messy. Not with this one!! And the flavors are outstanding! If you aren't a fan of eggplant, substitute zucchini. Trim the ends, then make long 1/2-inch-thick slices. Proceed with recipe as written. It helps to freeze the mozzarella for several minutes to make the slicing easier.
Gluten Modifications: Use a gluten-free panko, and gluten-free croutons, or leave them out of the salad.
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 0.5 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1.5 pounds eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 0.5 teaspoon kosher salt
- 0.25 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jarred marinara sauce (24-ounce)
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons torn fresh basil
- Preheat broiler to high with a rack about 6 inches from heat souce.
- Place a large baking sheet in oven while preheating.
- Place eggs in a shallow dish; place panko, 1/4 cup of Parmesan and Italian seasoning in a second shallow dish; mix to combine.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and line with parchment paper.
- Dip eggplant in egg; dredge in panko mixture, patting to adhere.
- Arrange coated eggplant in a single layer on pan and place in oven.
- Broil for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes per side or until browned.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle eggplant with salt and pepper.
- Reduce oven temperature to 425 degrees.
- Pour marinara sauce over eggplant (you may not need all of it); top with mozzarella and sprinkle with remaining (1/4 cup) Parmesan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is melted and browned, rotating pan after 8 minutes.
- When ready to serve, top each serving with basil.
- 0.25 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 0.5 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 6 cups romaine lettuce leaves, torn
- 2 cups croutons
- Combine all of the ingredients except the lettuce and croutons in the bowl of a blender. Puree until completely combined and fairly thick.
- Add lettuce and croutons to a large bowl; pour desired amount of dressing over lettuce; toss and serve.
Make dinner easy this week with FIVE complete menus, a bonus recipe and a matching grocery list!
*All form fields are required.