I love Kalamata olives in just about anything, and they really enhance this dish with their salty, rich flavor. Add the lemon accent, the fresh rosemary and Italian sausage...and pasta, and you have a dish with outstanding flavors.
Gluten Modifications: Use a gluten-free pasta.
- kosher salt
- 8 ounces butterfly pasta (farfalle)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 0.25 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 0.25 cup sun-dried tomatoes (dried), cut into strips
- 0.5 cup pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 0.5 pound fresh broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, divided
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the Italian sausage and cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until done.
- Stir in the garlic, rosemary, red pepper flake; cook about 30 seconds, stirring often.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and the olives.
- Add the butterfly pasta to the boiling water and cook, stirring occasionally, until just barely al dente, 1 minute less than the package instructions.
- Add the broccoli to the pasta and cook until it turns bright green and the pasta is tender, about 1 minute.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water, then drain the pasta and broccoli.
- Add the pasta, broccoli and reserved pasta water to the skillet and cook, stirring until the pasta absorbs most of the liquid, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the lemon zest, juice and half of the Parmesan.
- Serve sprinkled with the remaining Parmesan.
Make dinner easy this week with FIVE complete menus, a bonus recipe and a matching grocery list!
*All form fields are required.